Tuesday 24 April 2012

Farm Stay And Reflection On Aboriginality

Australia is an amazing land. The diversity of landscape forever changing. Such a dry and arid place however also flowing with an abundance of rivers and waterholes.

As I have travelled across the land, I cannot help but marvel at how the first people, the original owners relied on the seasons, the land and a nomadic existence to exist in this continent of contrasts.

As I sit writing this blog, I overlook the Murchinson River that gentle meanders through a goat and cattle station abutting the Kalbarri National Park.










The drive into the station is a four kilometer drive up to a Residence, a sheeting shed and a scattering of old machinery, (normal things for a farm) and with over 350000 acres of grazing land (mostly bush), this homestead has been an amazing place to visit.


On arrival at Murchinson Station I found an overwhelming sense of nostalgia building within me... growing stronger by the day and without being able to pin point the origin, all I did know was that the place we were visiting reminded me of a place of childhood adventures.




Reading the book, 'A Secret Country' by John Pilger (not an easy read, thanks all the same for the loan Hammer)... The following passage connected the dots and exposed the underlying emotion I had been trying so hard to qualify.

In his book, John Pilger talks of meeting Pat Dodson (first ever Aboriginal Catholic Priest - ironically a position only short lived as the Catholic Church
and Aboriginal traditions were not compatible)..... John asks him to explain what is meant by the term 'Aboriginality'.

The reply was as follows;

'Well it means the sense of belonging... to family, to where you've come from, and of knowing what your spirit is, that has given you life, and knowing the tradition that relates to the area of country you come from. [It's] a bond between people from one part of Australia and people from another... a sense of rapport, a sense of understanding and of brotherhood... a sense not just brought about by common suffering and oppression, but the fact that we are the unique survivors.'

So...it suddenly dawned on me that Murchinson Station reminded me of my childhood experiences on my Aunt and Uncles Farm.... The two thousand acres of grain fields in the middle of Victoria. A place where childhood memories formed, a place that exuded love and the welcome from a warm and kind heart...


Reflecting on this definition, I soon realized that the connection to 'the land' was also my cousins 'Aboriginality'.... A connection that I have never really felt strong within my own family. From an upbringing that taught that adulthood is more about independence rather than interdependence.

It fascinated me to think that without a common connection and kindred spirit many people do not have the ability to understand their true identity and cultural roots.



I have watched with interest my brothers and sisters occasional pilgrimage to the Wimmera 'Farm' and I wonder, if them like me are also searching for their own connection and understanding of their past.


We are now three months into this adventure... There is now no doubt whatsoever as to how incredibly fortunate I am to be undertaking this amazing journey.

I am now certain the experiences of living on the road will create the catalyst for the connection to a sense of history for my children and furthermore strengthen our own belief in the significance of history and our own take on the definition of ones 'Aboriginality'.





2 comments:

  1. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete