Tuesday 20 March 2012

Birthday Bliss

The day we were leaving Cape Le Grand was also my 39th Birthday. We had discussed packing early, driving through to Cape Riche and stopping off for a pub lunch along the way. I had already received my birthday present - a copy of "Camps 6" - a camping book with thousands of places to camp around Australia.

Packing went incredibly smoothly, we were almost done when we started talking to our "neighbours" Jo & Pete. Little did I know that Nick had convinced Jo to keep talking to me because he had organised a surprise in Esperence and it was too early to leave yet....So Jo and I chatted about the places we've both been so far and where we are heading too, all the while being completely unaware of Nicks stalling tactic.

Finally we head off into Esperence, Nick drives down a street claiming to be looking for a petrol station, when suddenly he stops the car and says "Happy Birthday darling, out you get, we'll be back in a few hours, you just need to go into that shop there beginning with B and the girls will sort you out."

A bit stunned I get out of the car and head into the shop to be greeted by lovely ladies who made me a coffee and told be I was being pampered with a deluxe pedicure and manicure. It was heavenly, Nick had even organised a glass of champagne. Having a parrifin wax bath for my feet, shellac on my fingers and toes, massage and moisturizer felt amazing.

Nick told me after that he had asked the ranger at Cape Le Grand about beauticians in town. Ranger Cam asked his wife and Nick proceeded to go and find a spot on the top of a hill to get phone reception and booked it. What a legend he is.

It was after 1pm when we were on the road again, so instead of driving to Cape Riche I got out Camps 6 and found a campsite for the night before heading onto Cosy Corner near Albany. We arrived at Pallinup River just on dusk. We did a basic unpack and Josh set up his bed in the car. The kids enjoyed exploring down by the river. Although it was a very basic campsite, not far off the road we did enjoy it.

The next morning I was walking towards the front of the car and saw something slithering out the corner off eye. I did squeal, but quickly realised it wasn't a snake- it was hundreds of furry caterpillars lined up head to tail about 3-4metres long, slowly making their way across the ground. It was an amazing scene. If one caterpillar moved out of line the one behind would go that way also. The kids were mesmerized by it. Unfortunately the trail was right in front of the car and we had to run over them in order to get back on the road.

1 comment:

  1. How good! Well done Nick. Sounds like a total surprise

    ReplyDelete